See the best of Germany with these 24 back-road driving tours. This DK Eyewitness Travel guide for Germany will take you off the main tourist routes and encourage you to explore the less travelled roads. Discover beautiful medieval cities, experience unique cultural events or just soak up the beauty of Germany's diverse landscape from the bathing beaches of the Baltic coast to the densely wooded Black Forest.
Please note: This guide does NOT list motorhome stopovers or Aires. For a guide to German Aires you will need to buy Reise Mobil Bord Atlas.
The tours are spread across the country and cover areas including the Grand Prussian Avenues, the Romantic Road, the German Alps, the Rhine, Palaces and Castles of Munsterland, Brothers Grimm fairy tale villages in the Black Forest, the German wine route, Roman ruins in Trier and Cuckoo Clock Country.
The 18-page introduction includes the practical information you need before travelling to Germany, from driving advice to where to stay, when you should go and where to eat. At the back is a useful phrase guide, including common driving phrases and an illustrated guide to Germany's road signs. Also read our blog post about the new German winter tyre regulations.
On the inside cover is an overview map of Germany with boxes outlining the regions covered by each tour, with the tour numbers and page numbers given. For easy reference, the inside cover flap has a list of each tour with the starting and end points, the page numbers and the number of days.
- Each of the 24 driving tours includes the following information:
- Road trip length: 1-6 days, although multiple tours can be linked for longer tours
- Start and finish locations, distance and road conditions
- Overview map of the route with numbered stops marked
- At a glance highlights of the tour and when is best to go, as well as main market days, shopping information and major festivals
- Descriptions of each stop, with main sights and activities in bold, and brief driving directions between stops
- A guided walk with duration of walk, numbered stops, description of stops and walking map with route
- Postcodes provided for navigation
You can plan your motorhome tours of Germany with ease with the following guide books:
- Reise Mobil Bord Atlas, to find the best motorhome stopovers.
- ACSI Camping Card Europe, to find the best motorhome campsites.
- Michelin Green Guide to Germany, for even more tourist information.
- See all 26 German guides and maps in our collection
After more Back Roads titles?
Check out Back Roads: Italy & France & Spain here.
Need a road atlas?
Please see our selection of maps and road atlases for more detailed mapping of Germany, including height and weight restrictions and toll roads and motorways.
Weekday deadline 2.30PM
|Free Second Class Post||For books maps and most accessories||2 - 5 days|
|First Class Post||Up to 750g 50p, then by weight||1 - 2 days|
|DPD||Mainland £3-£6. Ireland, Highlands and Islands £17||Normally next day - Tracked|
|Rest of world - AirMail||Charged at cost less the value of Second Class||Up to 21 days untracked|
Secured & Safe Checkout :